MEANING OF ISLAM AND PEACE
Islam, a name given by Allah to this religion (Quran 5:4), is an Arabic word which literally means obedience and peace. ISLAM is derived from the Arabic root “SALEMA”: peace, purity, submission and obedience. So ‘Islam’ would mean the path of those who are obedient to Allah and who establish peace with Him and His creatures. Its follower are called Muslims. The peace is obtained by one submitting to the will of God/ Allah and being obedient to what God had ordained upon His believers.
Islam is not a new religion. It is, in essence, the same message and guidance which Allah revealed to all prophets before Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. Allah says in the Qur’ân:
“Say, `We believe in ALLAH and that which has been revealed to us, and that which was revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and in that which was given to Moses and Jesus and other Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them and to HIM we submit.” (Qur’ân 3-85)
Six main Articles of faith in Islam
- To believe in the Oneness of Allah.
- To believe in all His Angels.
- To believe in all His Books. The Torah or old testiment, new testiment, Pslams of David and the Quran, which is the only one which till now remains in its origonal and pure format. All of the others have been changed by mankind.
- To believe in all His Prophets. We must believe in the genuine prophethood of them all such as Moses, and the fact that Jesus is the Messiah.
- To believe in the Day of Resurrection.
- To believe in the Decree of Allah or that He is aware of all things and that destiny is real and that things have been written for us.
The Five Pillars of Islam (Declaration of the Islamic Faith)
In order to enter into the fold of Islam i.e. to be Muslim, one has to know, believe, accept totally and sincerely apply the five basic principles (Pillars) on which Islam is based: Ibn Umar narrated a hadith ( saying) that the Messenger of Allah – Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) said: Islam is based on the following five pillars (principles).
- Bearing witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is the last Messenger of Allah
- Observance of Prayer
- Paying Zakat or charity
- Fasting during Ramadhan for thirty days from sun up till sunset
- Pilgrimage to the house of Allah.
Why I believe in Islam: After careful study of many religions and reading the quran I had found many miracles within the quran, things mentioned that only recent science has proven, and that there was no way that a human had known such things 1400 years ago. When I studied the religion It made sense even things that were difficult topics such as polygamy. When it was logically explained and its effect on society and the social benefits, there is little argument against it. However, it is the human factor and human weakness and mistakes that are made which make islam look bad and so like anything else its wrong to judge islam by the people, you should judge the people by islamic teachings.